When I signed up for Twitter, I initially assumed it was just a nice place where I could tell corny jokes to my measly 103 followers. However, it didn't take me long to realize that Twitter, while fun to use, was a form of social media that wasn't about me...and that was its allure. Twitter is about the people with personal brands, the charismatic and often talented folks who have a wealth of expertise (or, at the most basic level, pretty selfies) to share with the world. And though people may not care about my corny jokes, I can sure learn a lot about marketing from the Twitter hard-hitters. These users know how to successfully utilize social media as a marketing tool, and are willing to impart this knowledge to their followers. Here are some of the top Twitter accounts you should be following for great social media secrets, advice and even a silly meme or two:
- Brian Carter: Carter may be a CEO, author and marketer, but that doesn't make him a blah businessman. His fun blend of comedy and social media savvy will make him an entertaining addition to your feed.
- Social Media Examiner: Branded as "the world's largest online social media magazine," the Examiner is your key resource for all things social. Plus their array of eye-catching designs and infographics make scrolling fun and informative.
- Jay Baer: Jay is a Jack (and master) of all trades. Not only is he the president of the strategy consulting firm Convince & Convert, but his book "Youtility" is a NYT bestseller. Follow him to learn all about creating great content.
- Convince & Convert: Speaking of Jay Baer: his consulting firm that I mentioned? Yeah, they're a great follow too. Check out Convince & Convert for some great insights into the world of marketing and methods for driving brand engagement.
- Social Times: If you prefer straightforward articles to flashy infographics, this is the account to follow. It's a great news source for all things social media, and features plenty of reading material for you newsworms out there.
- Mari Smith: Mari has been called the "Facebook queen," and with good reason. In 1999 she came from Scotland to America with no money and a borrowed plane ticket. Today she's a marketing icon with over 380,000 followers, and her feed provides a number of secrets to her success.
- Social Media Today: For a little fun in your feed, follow Social Media today. Featuring plenty of infographics and an array fun (but informative) videos, it's a great way to expand your knowledge and brighten up your day.
- Jason Falls: Jason is the influencer that other influencers follow. In fact, on a list of the 88 most influential Twitter users, Jay came in 1st, with 68 of the 88-person group following him. Jay is the guy in the know, and if you follow him you will be too.
- Laura Roeder: This is the gal for small businesses to follow. With lots of useful webinars and not a few inspirational quotes to keep you motivated, Roeder will help you realize your business potential.
- Jon Loomer: For advice about marketing on Facebook, look no further than John Loomer. From creating advertising campaigns to getting positive reviews, Loomer has all the info you need about the world's biggest social network.
This is only a sample selection of the social media pros out there. Twitter is a wild and wonderful place, so set aside a half hour to explore and find other great influencers. Or if you don't have time to spare, just check out Volusion's Social Media & Marketing Twitter list.