Volusion Payments powered by Stripe Terms of Service
Last Updated: September 2, 2022
A. The Volusion Payments Service
- Our Role The Volusion Payments service (“Payments Services”) is a: (i) payment account boarding; (ii) payment underwriting; and, (iii) payment data transmission service that helps you integrate with a payment processor (the “Processor”), as described more fully in this Agreement. The Payments Services may also apply to your use of point-of-sale equipment (“POS Equipment”), subject to availability and to your election to procure the same. You hereby appoint us as your agent to deliver information and instructions on your behalf to the Processor. Volusion Inc. is not a bank, payment institution, or money services business but are instead, respectively, a supplier of the Payments Services under this Agreement.
- The Processor The Processor is Stripe, Inc., organized under the laws of Delaware, which is a technical services provider and may offer the services as an agent of one or more financial institutions in United States (each, a “Financial Services Provider”). The processing and settlement of Transactions (as defined below) (“Payment Processing”) is carried out by the Processor and any of the Financial Services Providers under a separate Stripe Connected Account Agreement, including the United States Stripe Services Agreement and the applicable Financial Services Terms, and to the extent you use a payment method that is subject to additional terms, the Payment Method Terms (collectively, the “Processor Terms”). By accepting this Agreement, you are also accepting and agreeing to be bound by the Processor Terms, which is the legal agreement between you and the Processor.
Volusion is not a party to the Processor Terms and is not liable to you in respect thereof. By accepting this Agreement and the Processor Terms you are agreeing to the creation of an account with the Processor for Payment Processing (the “Processor Account”). We reserve the right to change the Processor, subject to the terms of our agreement with the Processor. In the event of any inconsistency between this Agreement and the Processor Terms, this Agreement shall prevail, except in the event of any inconsistency between this Agreement and the Processor Terms concerning Payment Processing or the Processor Account, in which case the Processor Terms shall prevail. The Processor’s role is to accept and process credit card, debit card and other types of payments (collectively “Cards”) with respect to sales of your products and services through internet-based transactions (“Card Not Present Transactions" or “CNP Transactions”). If applicable, POS Equipment permits transmission of data to the Processor from in-person, point-of-sale transactions (“Card Present Transactions" or “CP Transactions”), as well as manually entered transactions (“Keyed Transactions”). CNP Transactions, CP Transactions and Keyed Transactions shall be referred to herein, collectively, as “Transactions”.
- Your Role To utilize the Payments Services, you must be a business located in United States.
- The Payments Services Volusion hereby grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, revocable right to use the Payments Services (the “License”). The License shall be for the term of this Agreement only. Neither the License nor any other provision hereof shall grant any rights in the Payments Services or other intellectual property rights except the limited License of use set out above.
You shall not: (i) permit any third party to access the Payments Services, including, but not limited to, your Volusion Admin on our website (the “Volusion Admin”), except as permitted herein, and to carry out Transactions; (ii) create derivate works based on the Payments Services; (iii) copy, frame or mirror any part of the content of the Payments Services, other than copying or framing for your internal business purposes; (iv) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or trade secrets for any of the Payments Services; or, (v) access the Payments Services in order to build a competitive product or service.
It is your responsibility to obtain your customers’ consent to be billed for each Transaction or, as the case may be, on a recurring basis, in compliance with applicable legal requirements and Visa Europe Ltd., Visa U.S.A., Inc., Visa Canada Inc. and Visa International (collectively, “Visa”), MasterCard International Incorporated (“MasterCard”), American Express or other applicable Card networks’ (such networks being, collectively, the “Payment Networks”) payment rules (the “Payment Network Rules”).
- Payment Methods The Payments Services support most Payment Network Cards, including credit, debit, pre-paid, or gift cards. You assume sole and exclusive responsibility for the use of the Payments Services. You also assume sole and exclusive responsibility for Transactions under the Processor Terms. You are solely responsible for verifying the identity of customers and of the eligibility of a presented Card used to purchase your products and services, and Volusion does not guarantee or assume any liability for Transactions authorized and completed that may later be reversed or charged back (see section D5 below). You are solely responsible for all reversed or charged back transactions regardless of the reason for, or timing of the reversal or chargeback. Volusion or the Processor may add or remove one or more types of Payment Networks or Cards, in their sole discretion, at any time, without prior notice to you.
- Customer Service Volusion will use its commercially reasonable efforts to provide you with customer support to help resolve issues relating to the Payments Services. The Processor retains sole and exclusive responsibility for Payment Processing of Transactions, including the settlement of funds, but Volusion will provide reasonable assistance in liaising between you and the Processor concerning the Payment Processing services. You assume sole and exclusive responsibility for providing customer service or support to your customers for any and all issues related to your products and services, including, but not limited to, issues arising from the processing of Cards through the Payments Services.
- Taxes You have sole and exclusive responsibility to determine what, if any, taxes apply to the sale of your goods and services and/or the payments you receive in connection with your use of the Payments Services ("Taxes"). It is solely your responsibility to assess, collect, report, or remit the correct Taxes to the proper tax authority, whether in customers’ jurisdictions, your jurisdiction or elsewhere. We are not obligated to, nor will we, determine whether Taxes apply, or calculate, collect, report, or remit any Taxes to any tax authority, arising from any Transaction. Volusion retains the right, but not the obligation, at its sole discretion, to complete and file tax or related reports with tax authorities regarding Transactions in those jurisdictions where Volusion deems such reporting necessary. You hereby indemnify and hold Volusion harmless from and against any and all liability related to Taxes and filings made by Volusion in respect thereof.
You agree to receive all federal and state tax statements in an electronic format and acknowledge that paper tax statements will not be provided. We will notify you when an electronic statement is available by posting a notice in your Volusion Admin or emailing it to the email address listed in your Volusion Account. Specific instructions for access and download will be included. In the event you withdraw consent with the Terms of Service and/or these terms, you will receive all electronic tax-related statements for the duration of time the agreement was authorized.
- Your Customers If prohibited by law, you will not impose any fee or surcharge on a customer that seeks to use an eligible Card. You will provide an informational slip or receipt to your customer at the conclusion of the Transaction that includes all information required under Payment Network Rules and applicable law.
- Security We maintain commercially reasonable administrative, technical and physical procedures to protect all the personal information regarding you and your customers that is stored in our servers from unauthorized access, accidental loss, or modification. Volusion cannot, however, guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat those measures or use such personal information for improper purposes.
- Data Security You assume full responsibility for the security of data on your website or otherwise in your possession or control. You agree to comply with all applicable laws and rules in connection with your collection, security, and dissemination of any personal, financial, Card, or Transaction information (collectively, “Data", and as pertains to your customers, “Cardholder Data”). You agree that at all times you shall be compliant with applicable Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (“PCI-DSS”) and, as applicable, the Payment Application Data Security Standards (“PA-DSS”). You agree to promptly provide Volusion with documentation evidencing your compliance with PCI-DSS and/or PA-DSS upon request. You also agree that you will use only PCI-DSS and PA-DSS compliant service providers in connection with the storage or transmission of Card information, including a cardholder’s account number, expiration date, and CVV2. You must not store CVV2 data at any time. Information on PCI-DSS can be found on the PCI Council’s website. It is your responsibility to comply with these standards and all the Payment Network Rules.
- Audit Right If Volusion believes that a security breach, personal data breach, or other compromise of data may have occurred, Volusion may require you to have a third-party auditor that is approved by Volusion conduct a security audit of your systems and facilities and issue a report to be provided to Volusion and, at Volusion’s discretion, to the Processor, its Financial Services Provider, Payment Networks, and law enforcement, at your sole cost and expense.
You consent to the exchange of your information between the account you have established through the Volusion Platform Services and the Payments Services established under this Agreement. Volusion will commingle such accounts and refers to them together in this Agreement as the “Volusion Payments Account”. Additionally, when you elect to use a third party sales channel integration made available through the Volusion Platform Services (e.g. choosing to sell your products on Facebook) your transactions on such third party sales channel (“Third Party Channel”) may be processed by Volusion Payments. Where Volusion Payments process transactions on your behalf on a Third Party Channel, you agree and consent to Volusion sharing or disclosing your data (including personal information) with the operator of the Third Party Channel in the context of a data breach or audit, if Volusion is required to do in connection with its performance of the Payments Services.
If you receive information about others, including cardholders and other customers, through the use of the Payments Services, you must keep such information confidential and only use it in connection with the Payments Services or as otherwise permitted by the subject of such information. You may not disclose or distribute any such information to a third party or use any such information for marketing purposes unless you receive the express consent of the subject thereof to do so. You may not disclose Cardholder Data to any third party other than in connection with processing a Transaction requested by your customer.
- Restricted Use You are required to obey all laws, rules, and regulations applicable to your use of the Payments Services (e.g., including those governing financial services, consumer protections, unfair competition, anti-discrimination, or false advertising). In addition to any other requirements or restrictions set forth in this Agreement, you shall not: (i) utilize the credit available on any Card to provide cash advances to cardholders; (ii) submit any Transaction for processing that does not arise from your sale of goods or service to a customer; (iii) act as a payment intermediary or aggregator or otherwise resell the Payments Services on behalf of any third party; (iv) send what you believe to be potentially fraudulent authorizations or fraudulent Transactions; (v) use the Payments Services or the Payment Processing services in a manner that a Payment Network reasonably believes to be an abuse of the Payment Network or a violation of the Payment Network Rules; or, (vi) work around any of the technical limitations of the Payments Services or Volusion’s checkout, use any tool to enable features or functionalities that are otherwise disabled in the Payments Services, or decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer the Payments Services, except to the extent that such restriction is expressly prohibited by law. You further agree not to permit any third party to do any of the following: (i) access or attempt to access our systems, programs, or data that are not made available for public use; (ii) copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, resell, or distribute, in any way, material from us; (iii) permit any third party to use and benefit from the Payments Services via a rental, lease, timesharing, service bureau, or other arrangement; (iv) transfer any rights granted to you under this Agreement; (v) work around any of the technical limitations of the Payments Services or Volusion’s checkout, use any tool to enable features or functionalities that are otherwise disabled in the Payments Services, or decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer the Payments Services, except to the extent that such restriction is expressly prohibited by law; (vi) perform or attempt to perform any actions that would interfere with the proper working of the Payments Services, prevent access to or use of the Payments Services by our other users, or impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or, (vii) otherwise use the Payments Services except as expressly allowed under this section.
- Suspicion of Unauthorized or Illegal Use We reserve the right to not provide the Payments Services in respect of any Transaction you submit that we believe, in our sole discretion, is in violation of this Agreement, any other Volusion or Processor agreement, or exposes you, Volusion, the Processor, or any other third party to actual or potential risk or harm, including, but not limited to, fraud and other criminal acts. You are hereby granting us authorization to share information with law enforcement about you, your Transactions, or your Volusion Payments Account.
- Payment Network Rules The Payment Networks have established guidelines, bylaws, rules, and regulations in the form of the Payment Network Rules. You are required to comply with all applicable Payment Network Rules. The Payment Network Rules for Visa, MasterCard and American Express are available on the Internet at the following links: Visa, MasterCard and American Express. The Payment Networks may amend the Payment Network Rules at any time and without notice to us or to you. Insofar as the terms of this Agreement and/or the Processor Terms are inconsistent with the Payment Network Rules, the Payment Network Rules shall prevail. We reserve the right to amend this Agreement at any time, with notice to you, as may be necessary to comply with the Payment Network Rules.
- Disclosures and Notices You agree that Volusion can provide disclosures and notices, including tax forms, that we deem appropriate regarding the Payments Services to you by posting such disclosures and notices in your Volusion Admin, emailing them to the email address listed in your Volusion Account, or mailing them to the address listed in your Volusion Account. You also agree that electronic disclosures and notices have the same meaning and effect as if we had provided you with a paper copy. Such disclosures and notices shall be considered to be received by you within twenty-four (24) hours of the time it is posted to your Volusion Admin or emailed to you, unless we receive notice that the email was not delivered.
- Automatic Reminders We may use automated telephone dialing, text messaging systems, and email to provide messages to you about your Volusion Payments Account. The telephone messages may be played by a machine automatically when the telephone is answered, whether answered by you or another party. These messages may also be recorded by your answering machine or voicemail. You give us permission to call or send a text message to any telephone number that you have given us and to play pre-recorded messages or send text messages with information about this Agreement or your account over the phone. You agree that we will not be liable to you for any such calls or electronic communications even if information is communicated to an unintended recipient. You understand that when you receive such calls or electronic communications you may incur a charge from the company that provides you with telecommunications, wireless and/or Internet services. You agree that we have no liability for such charges. You agree to immediately notify us if you change telephone numbers or are otherwise no longer the subscriber or customary user of a telephone number or email address you have previously provided to us.
B. Getting a Payments Services Account
- Registration The Payments Services are only made available to persons in United States that operate a business selling goods and services. You may not use the Payments Services for non-commercial, personal, family, or household purposes. To use the Payments Services for your business, you are required to register for a Volusion Payments Account. When you register for a Volusion Payments Account, we will collect information such as your name (if you are a sole proprietor), your business or trade name, your address, email, phone number, business identification or registration number, and certain other information that we require. We may also collect personal information (including name, birthdate, and government-issued identification number) about your beneficial owners or principals.
You may register as an individual (sole proprietor) or as a corporation or other legal entity. If you register as a corporation or other legal entity, you must be authorized to act on behalf of such entity, have the authority to bind the entity to this Agreement, and you must agree to this Agreement on behalf of such entity. If you have so agreed, the term "Customer", “you” or “your” will mean you, the natural person acting as a business, if you are a sole proprietor, or if you have registered as a corporation or other legal entity, it will mean that entity. You understand that by registering for a Volusion Payments Account, you are also registering for a Processor Account under the Processor Terms and that you are simultaneously providing your information to Volusion for the purpose of opening a Volusion Payments Account, and to the Processor for the purpose of establishing your Processor Account.
- Company Descriptions and Site URL As part of your registration, you must provide the name under which you do business (which may be the business’ legal name or a "doing business name") (e.g. XYZ Online) and a billing descriptor. These two fields and your site URL may appear in your customers’ credit or debit card statements. To avoid customer confusion and Transaction disputes it is important that you enter a description that clearly identifies your business. You hereby agree to indemnify us from any costs, liabilities, losses, or expenses from disputes due to your failure to do so.
- Verification and Underwriting To verify your identity, we may require additional information, including your company registration number or business number, tax number, and, if applicable, your date of birth. We may also ask for additional information to help verify your identity and assess your business risk, including, but not limited, to business invoices, reseller authorization or distributor information, a driver’s license or other government issued identification, or business license, for you or for any of the owners or principals of your business. We may ask you for your financial statements. We may request your permission to do a physical inspection at your place of business and to examine books and records that pertain to your compliance with this Agreement. Your failure to comply with any of these requests within five (5) days may result in suspension or termination of your Volusion Payments Account and the Processor Account. You authorize us to retrieve additional information about you from third parties and other identification services. We reserve the right to hold funds in your Volusion Payments Account while awaiting the information requested above. Volusion may use your information to apply for card merchant acquiring accounts on your behalf with certain Payment Networks (such as American Express).
After we have collected and verified all your information, we will review your account and determine if you are eligible to use the Payments Services. We will notify you once your Volusion Payments Account has been either approved or deemed ineligible for use of the Payments Services. By accepting the terms of this Agreement, you are providing us with authorization to retrieve information about you by using third parties, including credit bureaus and other information providers. You acknowledge that such information retrieved may include your name, address history, credit history, and other data about you. We may periodically update this information to determine whether you continue to meet the eligibility requirements for a Volusion Payments Account. You agree that Volusion is permitted to contact and share information about you and your application (including whether you are approved or declined), your Volusion Payments Account, and the Processor Account with the Processor and other third parties in order to perform the Payments Services. This includes sharing information: (i) about Transactions for regulatory or compliance purposes; (ii) for use in connection with the management and maintenance of the Payments Services; (iii) to create and update our and their customer records about you, and to assist us and them in better serving you; and, (iv) to conduct our and their risk management process.
- Designated Country In registering for a Volusion Payments Account, you are obliged to identify the location from where you are operating the business that will use the Payments Services in United States. By registering for a Volusion Payments Account, you are confirming that you are either a legal resident of United States or you are duly established and, if necessary, registered or licensed as a business entity authorized to conduct business in United States. The Payments Services and Volusion Payments Account may only be used in United States. By accepting this Agreement, you confirm that you will satisfy these requirements.
- Prohibited Businesses The following categories of businesses and business practices are prohibited from using the Payments Services (“Prohibited Businesses”). Prohibited Business categories may be imposed by law or through the Payment Network Rules, by Volusion or the requirements of the Processor’s Financial Services Providers. The types of businesses listed below are representative but not exhaustive. If you are uncertain as to whether your business is a Prohibited Business or have questions about how these requirements apply to you, please contact us. We may add to or update the Prohibited Business list at any time.
Financial and professional services
- Investment and credit services
Securities brokers; mortgage consulting or debt reduction services; credit counseling or repair; investment services; real estate opportunities; lending instruments.
- Money and legal services
Financial institutions, money transmitters and money services businesses, check cashing, wire transfers, money orders; currency exchanges or dealers; bill-pay services; crowdfunding; insurance; bail bonds; collections agencies; law firms collecting funds for any purpose other than to pay fees owed to the firm for services provided by the firm (e.g., firms cannot use Stripe to hold client funds, collection or settlement amounts, disputed funds, etc.)
- Virtual currency or stored value
Virtual currency that can be monetized, resold, or converted to physical or digital products and services or otherwise exit the virtual world (e.g., Bitcoin); cryptocurrency mining equipment; initial coin offerings; digital wallets, sale of stored value or credits maintained, accepted and issued by anyone other than the seller
IP Infringement, regulated or illegal products and services
- Adult content and services
Pornography and other obscene materials (including literature, imagery and other media) depicting nudity or explicitly sexual acts; sites offering any sexually-related services such as prostitution, escorts, pay-per view, adult live chat features; sexually oriented items (e.g., adult toys); adult video stores and sexually oriented massage parlors; gentleman’s clubs, topless bars, and strip clubs; sexually oriented dating services
- Counterfeit or unauthorized goods
Counterfeit goods; unauthorized sale or resale of brand name or designer products or services; sale of goods or services that are illegally imported or exported
Lotteries; bidding fee auctions; sports forecasting or odds making for a monetary or material prize; fantasy sports leagues with cash prizes; internet gaming; contests; sweepstakes; games of chance including legal or illegal forms of gambling, internet gambling, sweepstakes and contests with a buy-in or cash prize; charity sweepstakes and raffles for the explicit purpose of fundraising
- Intellectual property or proprietary rights infringement
Sales, distribution, or access to counterfeit music, movies, software, or other licensed materials without the appropriate authorization from the rights holder; any product or service that directly infringes or facilitates infringement upon the trademark, patent, copyright, trade secrets, or proprietary or privacy rights of any third party; use of Volusion intellectual property without express consent from Volusion; use of the Volusion name or logo, including use of Volusion trade or service marks inconsistent with the Volusion Trademark Usage Guidelines, or in a manner that otherwise harms Volusion or the Volusion brand; any action that implies an untrue endorsement by or affiliation with Volusion
- Regulated or illegal products or services
Cannabis dispensaries and related businesses; sale of tobacco, e-cigarettes, and e-liquid; online pharmacies; prescription-only products including card-not-present pharmaceuticals; peptides and research chemicals; fake references or ID-providing services; age restricted goods or services; weapons and munitions; gunpowder and other explosives; fireworks and related goods; toxic, flammable, and radioactive materials; products and services with varying legal status on a state-by-state basis; goods or services, the sale of which is illegal under applicable law in the jurisdictions to which your business is targeted or directed
Use of the Payments Services or use of Volusion Payments in or for the benefit of a country, organization, entity, or person embargoed or blocked by any government, including any person/entity on government sanctions lists Products or services that are otherwise prohibited by law or our financial partners
Engaging in any form of licensed or unlicensed aggregation of funds owed to third parties, factoring, or other activities intended to obfuscate the origin of funds; payment facilitation
- Drug paraphernalia
Any equipment designed for making or using drugs, such as bongs, vaporizers, and hookahs
- High risk businesses
Bankruptcy lawyers; remote technical support; essay mills; chain letters; door-to-door sales; medical benefit packages; telemedicine and telehealth services; travel reservation services and clubs; airlines; cruises; timeshares; circumvention, jamming and interference devices; prepaid phone cards, phone services; telemarketing, offering substantial rebates or special incentives as an inducement to purchase products or services; telecommunications manipulation equipment; forwarding brokers; negative response marketing; subscriptions over one year; extended warranties; government grants; embassy, foreign consulate, or other foreign governments; charities without proper registration; credit card and identity theft protection; the use of credit to pay for lending services; any businesses that we believe poses elevated financial risk, legal liability, or violates card network or bank policies; any business or organization that a. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence or physical harm to persons or property, or b. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence toward any group based on race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other immutable characteristic
- Multi-level marketing
Pyramid schemes network marketing and referral marketing programs
- Pseudo pharmaceuticals
Nutraceuticals, pseudo-pharmaceuticals and other products that make health claims that have not been approved or verified by the applicable local and/or national regulatory body
- Social media activity
Sale of Twitter followers, Facebook likes, YouTube views, Instagram followers, and other forms of social media activity
- Substances designed to mimic illegal drugs
Sale of a legal substance that provides the same effect as an illegal drug (e.g., salvia, kratom)
- Use of Volusion Payments in a manner inconsistent with its intended use or as expressly prohibited in the Processor Terms
Use of Volusion Payments principally as a virtual terminal (e.g., submitting card transactions by manually inputting card information); processing where there is no bona fide good or service sold, or donation accepted; card testing; evasion of card network chargeback monitoring programs; cross-border acquiring; sharing cardholder information with another merchant for payment cross-sell product or service
- Video game or virtual world credits
Sale of in-game currency unless the merchant is the operator of the virtual world
Unfair, predatory, or deceptive practices
- Get rich quick schemes
Investment opportunities or other services that promise high rewards
- Mug shot publication or pay-to-remove sites
Platforms that facilitate the publication and removal of content (such as mug shots), where the primary purpose of posting such content is to cause or raise concerns of reputational harm
- No-value-added services
Sale or resale of a service without added benefit to the buyer; resale of government offerings without authorization or added value; sites that we determine in our sole discretion to be unfair, deceptive, or predatory towards consumers
- Investment and credit services
C. Processing Card Transactions and Receiving Your Funds
- Volusion Payments Fees You agree to pay the fees for processing that are set out in your Volusion Admin, which are incorporated herein by reference (the "Processing Fees"). Processing Fees shall be collected from you by the Processor on our behalf in accordance with the terms of the Stripe Connected Account Agreement. Processing Fees and Volusion Platform Services Fees shall be referred to herein collectively as the "Fees". You are obligated to pay all applicable taxes, fees and other charges imposed by any governmental authority, including, without limitation, any value added tax, goods and services tax, harmonized sales tax and/or provincial or territorial sales tax, on the Payments Services provided under this Agreement. If you are tax-exempt, you will provide us with an appropriate certificate or other evidence of tax exemption that is satisfactory to us. We reserve the right to change the Fees at any time, subject to a thirty (30) day notice period to you in accordance with Section A17. If you continue to use the Payments Services and the Processor Services for such thirty (30) days, then you are deemed to have accepted the change in Fees contemplated by such notice. In addition to the Fees, you are also responsible for any penalties and fines imposed on you or on us by any bank, money services business, payment network, financial institution, or other financial intermediary resulting from your use of the Payments Services in a manner not permitted by this Agreement or by such financial intermediary’s rules and regulations.
- Security Interest As security for performance of your obligations under this Agreement, you grant us a first priority lien and security interest on all funds processed and deposited into all User Bank Accounts (as defined in the Processor Terms), and any other bank accounts associated with your Volusion Payments Account, and in any funds processed using the Payment Processing services. These security interests and liens will secure payment and performance of all of your obligations under this Agreement and any other agreements now existing or later entered into between us and you, including, without limitation, your obligation to pay any amounts due and owing to us. You will execute, deliver and pay the fees for any documents we request to create, perfect, maintain, and enforce this security interest.
- Our Collection Rights To the extent permitted by law, we may collect any obligations you owe us under this Agreement by requesting that the Processor deduct the corresponding amounts from the Reserve Account (as that term is defined below) or from funds payable to you arising from the settlement of Transactions. Fees will be assessed at the time a Transaction is processed and will be first deducted from the funds received for such Transaction. If these amounts are not sufficient to meet your obligations to us, we may charge the payment method associated with your Volusion Payments Account for any amounts owed to us. Your failure to fully pay amounts that you owe us on demand will be a breach of this Agreement. You will be liable for our costs associated with collection in addition to the amount owed, including, without limitation, attorneys’ fees and expenses, costs of any arbitration or court proceeding, collection agency fees, and any applicable interest.
Additionally, we may require a personal guarantee from a principal of a business for funds owed under this Agreement. If we require a personal guarantee we will specifically inform you in advance.
In addition to the amount due, delinquent accounts may be charged with fees that are incidental to the collection of delinquent accounts and chargebacks, including, but not limited to, collection fees and convenience fees and other third-party charges
You hereby explicitly agree that all communication in relation to delinquent accounts will be made by electronic mail or by phone, as provided to Volusion by you. Such communication may be made by Volusion or by anyone on its behalf, including, but not limited to, a third-party collection agent.
- Reserves Funds held in reserves are amounts of money set aside to cover chargebacks, refunds, or other payment obligations under this Agreement (the "Reserve Account"). We, in our discretion, will set the terms of your Reserve Account and notify you of such terms, which may require that a certain amount (including the full amount) of the funds received for a Transaction are held for a period of time, or that additional amounts are held in the Reserve Account. We, in our discretion, may elect to change the terms of the Reserve Account at any time, for any reason, based on your payment processing history or as requested by our payment processors.
We may require you to fund the Reserve Account by means of: (i) any funds payouts made or due to you for Transactions submitted to the Payments Services; or, (ii) amounts available in your bank account by means of ACH debit to your Volusion Payments Account; or, (iii) other sources of funds associated with your Volusion Payments Account; or, (iv) requesting that you provide funds to us for deposit to the Reserve Account. You agree that: (i) you are not entitled to any interest or other compensation associated with the funds held in the Reserve Account; (ii) you have no right to direct that account; (iii) you have no legal interest in those funds or that account; and, (iv) you may not assign any interest in those funds or that account.
- Contesting Chargebacks You or Volusion may elect to contest chargebacks assessed to your account. Volusion may provide you with assistance, including notifications and software to help contest your chargebacks. We do not assume any liability for our role or assistance in contesting chargebacks.
You grant us permission to share records or other information required with the cardholder, the cardholder’s financial institution, and your financial institution to help resolve any chargeback. You acknowledge that your failure to provide us with complete and accurate information in a timely manner may result in an irreversible chargeback being assessed.
If the cardholder’s issuing bank or the Payment Network does not resolve a dispute in your favor, we may recover the chargeback amount and any associated fees from you as described in this Agreement. We reserve the right, upon notice to you, to charge a fee for mediating or investigating chargeback disputes.
D. Termination and Other General Legal Terms
- Term The Agreement is effective upon the date you agree to it (by electronically indicating acceptance) and continues so long as you use the Payments Services or until terminated by you or by Volusion.
- Termination You may terminate this Agreement by closing your Volusion Payments Account at any time by following the instructions in your Volusion Admin. We may terminate this Agreement and close your Volusion Payments Account at any time, for any reason, upon notice to you in accordance with Section A17 above. We may suspend your Volusion Payments Account and your access to the Payments Services and any rights in respect of your Volusion Payments Account, or terminate this Agreement, at any time, for any reason, including if: (i) we determine that you may be ineligible for the Payments Services because of the risk associated with your Volusion Payments Account, including, without limitation, significant credit or fraud risk, or for any other reason; (ii) you do not comply with any of the provisions of this Agreement or the Processor Terms; or, (iii) upon request of the Payment Network, the Processor, or a Card issuer. Termination of the Processor Terms may, at the discretion of Volusion, result in a termination of this Agreement. Termination of this Agreement shall entitle Volusion to cause the Processor to terminate the Processor Terms. If the Processor terminates the Processor Terms or indicates its intention to do so, or if you elect to cease processing with such Processor, we have the right, but not the obligation, to offer you a substitute payment processor that is integrated with the Volusion Payments Account. Upon your acceptance of the terms of service of such substitute payment processor, they shall be deemed to have replaced the Processor contemplated herein, provided that your liabilities to the Processor herein shall not be diminished on account of accepting the terms of the substitute payment processor.
- Effects of Termination Upon termination and closing of your Volusion Payments Account, we will immediately discontinue your access to the Payments Services. You agree to complete all pending Transactions, immediately remove all logos for Cards, and stop accepting new Transactions through the Payments Services. You will not be refunded the remainder of any Fees that you have paid for the Payments Services if your access to or use of the Payments Services is terminated or suspended. Any funds in the Financial Services Provider’s custody will be paid out to you subject to the terms of your Payout Schedule (as defined in the Processor Terms).
Termination does not relieve you of your obligations as defined in this Agreement, and the Processor may elect to continue to hold any funds deemed necessary, pending resolution of any other terms or obligations defined in this Agreement, including, but not limited to, chargebacks, fees, refunds, or other investigations or proceedings.
Termination of this Agreement will not necessarily terminate your Terms of Service, unless Volusion determines otherwise. Upon termination you agree: (i) to immediately cease your use of the Payments Services; (ii) to discontinue use of any Volusion or Processor trademarks and to immediately remove any Volusion or Processor references and logos from your website and/or physical location, if applicable; (iii) that the license granted under this Agreement shall end; (iv) that we reserve the right (but have no obligation) to delete all of your information and account data stored on our servers; (v) that we will not be liable to you for compensation, reimbursement, or damages in connection with your use of the Payments Services, or any termination or suspension of the Payments Services, or deletion of your information or account data; and, (vi) that you will still be liable to us for any fees or fines, or other financial obligation incurred by you or through your use of the Payments Services prior to termination.
- Ownership The Payments Services are licensed and not sold. We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you in this Agreement. The Payments Services are protected by copyright, trade secret, and other intellectual property laws. We own the title, copyright, and other worldwide Intellectual Property Rights (as defined below) in the Payments Services and all copies of the Payments Services. This Agreement does not grant you any rights to our trademarks or service marks.
For the purposes of this Agreement, “Intellectual Property Rights" means all patent rights, copyright rights, mask work rights, moral rights, rights of publicity, trademark, trade dress and service mark rights, goodwill, trade secret rights and other intellectual property rights as may now exist or hereafter come into existence, and all applications therefore and registrations, renewals and extensions thereof, under the laws of any state, country, territory or other jurisdiction.
You may choose to, or we may invite you to submit comments or ideas about the Payments Services, including, without limitation, about how to improve the Payments Services or our products (“Ideas”). By submitting any Idea you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction, and will not place us under any fiduciary or other obligation, and that we are free to use the Idea without any additional compensation to you, and/or to disclose the Idea on a non-confidential basis or otherwise to anyone. You further acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, we do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to us, or developed by our employees, or obtained from sources other than you.
- Your Liability and Indemnification Concerning Liabilities Nothing in this Agreement shall serve to diminish your liability under the Processor Terms or Terms of Service. You are obliged to fulfill your obligations under this Agreement and those under the Processor Terms and Terms of Service.
Volusion has agreed to indemnify and hold the Processor harmless for some, and, in some cases, all of your liabilities occurring under the Processor Terms, including, but not limited to, disputes (including, but not limited to, chargebacks), refunds, reversals, returns and fines (as such terms are defined in the Processor Terms). Insofar as Volusion becomes liable to the Processor or any other third party for any penalties, fines, fees, or other liabilities under or in respect of the Processor Terms, the Payments Services, the Payment Processing services, or the Payment Network Rules, you agree to indemnify and hold Volusion harmless from and against any and all such liabilities.
Additionally, we may require a personal guarantee from a principal of a business for funds owed under this Agreement.
You agree to indemnify and defend Volusion, our affiliates, and their respective employees, agents and service providers (each, a “Volusion Entity”) against any claim, suit, demand, loss, liability, damage, action, or proceeding (each, a “Claim”) brought by a third party against a Volusion Entity, and you agree to fully reimburse the Volusion Entities for any Claims that result from: (i) your breach of any provision of this Agreement; (ii) any fees, fines, penalties, disputes, reversals, returns, chargebacks (as such terms are defined in the Processor Terms), or any other liability we incur that results from your use of the Payments Services; (iii) negligent or willful misconduct of your owners, employees, contractors, or agents; (iv) contractual or other relationships between you and your customers; or, (v) third-party indemnity obligations we incur as a direct or indirect result of your acts or omissions, including, but not limited to, indemnification of the Processor or any Payment Network.
We will have the final decision-making authority with respect to Claims, including, without limitation, claims for refunds for purchased items that are filed with us by you or your customers. You will be required to reimburse us for your liability. Your liability will include the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping cost (and in some cases you may not receive the item back). You will not receive a refund of any Fees paid to us.
If you are liable for any amounts owed to us, we may immediately remove such amounts from your Reserve Account and deduct the amounts owed to us from such Reserve Account funds. If you do not have sufficient funds in the Reserve Account to cover your liability, you will be required to immediately add additional funds to your Reserve Account to cover funds owed to us. If you do not do so, we may engage in collections efforts to recover such amounts from you at your cost and expense.
- Your Representations, Warranties and Covenants You represent and warrant to us that: (i) if you are a sole proprietor, you are at least eighteen (18) years of age or, if you are a corporation or other entity, that the person entering into this Agreement on your behalf is at least eighteen (18) years of age, is authorized to act on your behalf, and has the authority to bind you to this Agreement; (ii) you are eligible to register and use the Payments Services and have the right, power, and ability to enter into and perform under this Agreement; (iii) the name identified by you when you registered is your name or business name under which you sell goods and services and the information that you have provided to us is accurate and complete; (iv) you are not a member of an organized crime group, a party who has been a member of an organized crime group in the past five years, a quasi-member of an organized crime group, a corporate racketeer, or other similar party, nor are any of your officers or employees a member of the foregoing; and, (v) you will not carry out, nor use a third party to carry out, any of the following unlawful acts: (a) the act of making violent demands; (b) the act of making unreasonable demands exceeding legal responsibilities; (c) the act of using threatening behavior or violence in relation to a transaction; (d) the act of spreading rumors, using fraudulent means, or using force to harm the other party’s reputation or obstruct the party’s business; (e) the act of selling products for the purpose of money laundering; (f) the act of using a Card held by you for a sale without reasonable grounds or another act similar to those set forth in (a) through (f).
You hereby covenant to us that: (i) any Transactions submitted by you will represent a bona fide sale by you; (ii) any Transaction submitted by you will accurately describe the goods and/or services sold and delivered to a customer; (iii) you will fulfill all of your obligations to each customer for which you submit a Transaction and will resolve any disputes or complaints directly with your customers; (iv) you and all Transactions initiated by you will comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations applicable to your business, including, but not limited to, any applicable tax laws and regulations; (v) except in the ordinary course of business, no Transaction submitted by you through the Payments Services will represent a sale to any principal, partner, proprietor, or owner of your entity; (vi) you will not use the Payments Services, directly or indirectly, for any fraudulent undertaking or in any manner so as to interfere with the use of the Payments Services; and, (vii) any information you provide to us will be accurate and complete.
- NO WARRANTIES THE PAYMENTS SERVICES AND ALL ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. USE OF THE PAYMENTS SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM OR THROUGH THE PAYMENTS SERVICES OR FROM: (I) Volusion; (II) THE PROCESSOR, SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS OF Volusion OR THE PROCESSOR; OR, (III) ANY OF THE RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, AND EMPLOYEES OF ANY OF THE ENTITIES LISTED IN (I) OR (II) ABOVE (COLLECTIVELY, THE “DISCLAIMING ENTITIES" AND INDIVIDUALLY, A “DISCLAIMING ENTITY”), WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY. YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OVER THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES THAT ARE PAID FOR WITH THE PAYMENTS SERVICES, AND WE CANNOT ENSURE THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WILL COMPLETE A TRANSACTION OR ARE AUTHORIZED TO DO SO.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE DISCLAIMING ENTITIES DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (I) THE INFORMATION THEY PROVIDE OR THAT IS PROVIDED THROUGH THE PAYMENTS SERVICES IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT; (II) THE PAYMENTS SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (III) THE PAYMENTS SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (IV) THE PAYMENTS SERVICES WILL FUNCTION IN AN UNINTERRUPTED MANNER OR BE SECURE; (V) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; OR, (VI) THE PAYMENTS SERVICES ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
ANY SUBJECT MATTER DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE PAYMENTS SERVICES IS DOWNLOADED AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOAD. THE DISCLAIMING ENTITIES MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT HOW LONG WILL BE NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE PROCESSING OF A TRANSACTION.
THE DISCLAIMING ENTITIES DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE PAYMENTS SERVICES, OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR SERVICE, OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, AND NEITHER VOLUSION, THE PROCESSOR, NOR THE FINANCIAL SERVICES PROVIDER WILL BE A PARTY TO, OR IN ANY WAY MONITOR ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
- Change of Business You agree to give us at least thirty (30) days prior notification of your intent to change your current product or services types, your business or trade name, or the manner in which you accept payment. You agree to provide us with prompt notification within three (3) days if you are the subject of any voluntary or involuntary bankruptcy or insolvency application, petition or proceeding, receivership, bankruptcy, or similar action or proceeding initiated by or against you or any of your principals (any of the foregoing, a “Bankruptcy Proceeding”). You also agree to promptly notify us within three (3) days of any adverse change in your financial condition, any planned or anticipated liquidation or substantial change in the basic nature of your business, any transfer or sale of twenty-five percent (25%) or more of your total assets, or any change in the control or ownership of your or your parent entity. You will also notify us within three (3) days of any judgment, writ, warrant of attachment or execution, or levy against twenty-five percent (25%) or more of your total assets. You will include us on the list and matrix of creditors as filed with any bankruptcy, commercial or civil court in connection with any Bankruptcy Proceeding, whether or not a claim may exist at the time of filing. Failure to do so will be cause for immediate termination of this Agreement and shall allow the pursuit of any other action available to us under the applicable Payment Network Rules or law.
- Force Majeure No party will be liable for delays in processing or other non-performance caused by such events as fires, telecommunications failures, utility failures, power failures, equipment failures, labor strife, riots, war, terrorist attack, non-performance of our vendors or suppliers, acts of God, or other causes over which the respective party has no reasonable control, except that nothing in this section will affect or excuse your liabilities and obligations under Sections C1 or D5, including, without limitation, for reversals, chargebacks, claims, fines, fees, refunds or unfulfilled products and services.
- Entire Agreement and Remedies These terms and conditions, and all policies and procedures that are incorporated herein by reference, constitute the entire agreement between you and Volusion with respect to the provision of the Payments Services. Except as otherwise set out herein, in the event of a conflict between this Agreement and any other Volusion or Processor agreement or policy, this Agreement shall prevail on the subject matter of this Agreement. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, these terms describe the entire liability of Volusion and our vendors and suppliers and sets forth your exclusive remedies with respect to the Payments Services and your access and use of the Payments Services. If any provision of this Agreement (or portion thereof) is held to be invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, then it shall be changed and interpreted to accomplish the objectives of such provision to the greatest extent possible under applicable law, and the remaining provisions will continue in full force and effect.
This Agreement has been reviewed by you with the benefit of independent legal counsel to the extent you consider necessary, and any rule of construction to the effect that ambiguities are to be resolved against the drafting party shall not apply to the construction or interpretation of this Agreement. The rights conferred upon us in this Agreement are not intended to be exclusive of each other or of any other rights and remedies we may have at law or in equity. Rather, each and every right we may have under this Agreement, at law or in equity, is cumulative and concurrent, and in addition to every other right. This Agreement may be available in languages other than English. To the extent of any inconsistencies or conflicts between this English Agreement and the Agreements available in another language, the most current English version of the Agreement will prevail.
- Survival In addition to any provision that is reasonably necessary to accomplish or enforce the purpose of this Agreement, the following sections of this Agreement survive and remain in effect in accordance with their terms upon the termination of this Agreement: Sections A5 Payment Methods; A7 Taxes; A9 Security; A10 Data Security; A11 Audit Right; A12 Privacy; A13 Privacy of Others; A14 Restricted Use; A15 Suspicion of Unauthorized or Illegal Use; A16 Payment Network Rules; A17 Disclosures and Notices; A18 Automatic Reminders; Section C Processing Card Transactions and Receiving Your Funds in its entirety; and, Section D Termination and Other General Legal Terms in its entirety.
*Additional fees: +1% for international cards and +1% if currency conversion is required