There’s so much to learn about PPC and making the most of the associated strategies and tools for your online store and advertising efforts. Our experience at the recent Hero Conference in Austin, Texas—gathering leaders from Bing, Dell, eBay, Adobe and more—gave us the opportunity to bring these insights back to you.
Importance of PLAs
Text ads do an excellent job of showing promotions and capturing buyers’ eyes with bolded keywords, but what grabs your customers’ eyes even more? Images. With Google Shopping becoming more and more popular, it’s important to create a Google Shopping campaign to further engage your audience. Shopping campaigns allow your products to stay relevant on the search page and encourage sales on your site by showcasing product images and promotions. They also help grow your real-estate on the search page.
Why add PLAs to your online marketing mix?
- PLAs naturally draw buyers’ eyes to product images
- CPC bids are typically lower than traditional keyword bids
- Easily market all of your products rather than focusing on a select few
- Display specific product prices
- Easily manage ads based on product availability through data feeds
The Importance of Landing Pages
When creating landing pages for your store, create them with the customer in mind so navigation, finding products and purchasing is as easy as possible. Good landing pages encourage customer interaction, customer satisfaction, and even more sales.
- Test landing pages often. You’ll gain valuable data regarding which aspects of a page work and which don’t. This is crucial for your home page, but also carries over to category and product pages. Try moving text around, changing headlines and page layout, highlight customer reviews and communicate your call-to-action clearly. Sometimes something as simple as changing colors or button placements can result in significant improvements in site interaction and conversions. Be sure to keep track of your changes so you can gauge customer behavior along the way.
- Eliminate functional errors. Navigate through your site to make sure each part is functional. Make sure clickable photos and offers take people to the proper pages, and images advertising products should follow through to the appropriate products as opposed to just being a static image.
- Focus the site experience on the individual customer. Try setting up pages to speak to the individual. With the text, images and layout think about what each single customer would want to see to connect with your site. What resonates to their emotional appeal?
PPC in the Multi-Device World
While mobile is not the main source for conversions, many searches start on a mobile device before the actual conversion takes place on a tablet or computer. A good mobile experience motivates customers to return to your website when they resume searching on a tablet or desktop.
- Widen your presence. Make sure you are present on each device (tablet, desktop and smartphone) and that the pages are optimized accordingly. You don’t want to have mobile ads directing to a landing page formatted for the desktop experience.
- Lower mobile bids. If funds are tight, or even if they aren’t, it’s a good idea to lower your bids on mobile devices by about 50-80% on average. Traffic is almost always cheaper on mobile than other devices. There is no reason to pay more than necessary for mobile traffic.
Remarketing is a great way to keep your website and products in front of customers after they leave your website and continue to browse the internet. Since most remarketing campaign ads are shown through Google’s Display network, campaign budgets and cost-per-clicks tend to be relatively lower than other campaign types. These campaigns are also highly beneficial because they continue targeting visitors who have previously interacted with your website. When combining traditional PPC campaigns with PLAs and Remarketing, many advertisers see an average conversion rate lift of 3-5%.
To get started with a remarketing campaign, place the remarketing tag on your Volusion store template and begin creating unique remarketing lists. Try some of our favorite remarketing lists below to garner the best results from your campaign:
- Top converting categories – unique list for each top converting category page
- Order Finish – users who have completed the conversion process
- Abandoned shopping cart – custom combination of users who have reached the shopping cart but haven’t completed a purchase.
For the more advanced advertisers, consider setting up Remarketing Lists for Search Ads or even Dynamic Remarketing campaigns to boost remarketing efforts and see an even higher return.
If you found the tips in this article useful, be sure to check out part one in our Hero Conference series where we discuss even more insider tips that you won’t want to miss!
Additionally, if you need help running your existing PPC campaigns, let Volusion’s team of PPC experts manage and optimize your account. For questions now, feel free to leave them in the box below.