With the launch of V13 in August, Volusion introduced a powerful new feature that gave our merchants the ability to display rich snippets in organic search results for product ratings and reviews:
One of the major benefits of this feature has been the ability for our merchants to become more visible in organic search results. Notice how much the star ratings enhance the above listing regardless of positioning in the results? We know it’s common for customers to make purchase decisions based on product ratings and reviews. BusinessWeek reports that 70% of shoppers consult ratings or reviews before purchasing! With this information displayed in search results, not only is the click-through-rate improved but there’s a better chance to convert more sales.
There are other forms of rich snippets (enhanced listings) that can be displayed in search results beyond simply star ratings. Information such as product pricing, product availability, product video thumbnails and more can be marked up for consideration. If shown in search results – just like ratings and reviews, this additional information can influence a user’s decision to click on a listing and make a purchase.
That said, Volusion is happy to announce we’ve expanded our support for rich snippet displays to include more markup in accordance with Schema.org.
In particular we’ve added the following:
- Added Product and Offer item types from Schema.org markup for all product elements
- Product item type includes: product name, description, image, manufacturer, productID and order
- Offer item type includes: price, availability and item condition
- Added VideoObject item type of Schema.org for videos on product detail pages
- VideoObject item type includes: youtubevideo:url, video caption: description
- Updated the aggregate rating of product reviews to follow the Schema.org library
- The itemscope itemtype now uses AggregateRating
- The itemprop values used are now “ratingValue” and “reviewCount”
- The above changes have been made to the product details, category results, search results, and home (feature products) page
- Added the Organization item type of Schema.org for organization objects (About Us page & global logo)
- This enhancement gives merchants the ability to markup their company name and store type on the About Us page
With these new enhancements Volusion merchants will have even more opportunity to increase their visibility in organic search results, thus potentially increasing organic search traffic. This gives Volusion merchants a tremendous competitive edge and helps them achieve their search engine optimization goals.
Current Volusion merchants should read this Schema.org article for more specifics about these enhancements and any actions needed. Use Google’s structured data testing tool to preview how search engine listings may appear with rich snippets.