Thinking about improving your ads’ effectiveness through retargeting? Then check out this guest post from our friends at AdRoll for the basics on getting started.
Tinsel-trimmed Tree? Check.
Perfectly wrapped presents? Check.
Sophisticated and highly-segmented retargeting campaigns, fully-optimized for increased holiday traffic? Maybe not.
Retargeting is a powerful online advertising tool that can place the right message in front of the right user at the right time. While it’s become quite the talk of the ad-tech town, I fully realize that many businesses, spanning the gamut in terms of size and industry, are just getting their feet wet in the online advertising space.
To that end, instead of providing a few tactical or creative best practices, below are three important considerations for those thinking about adding retargeting to their marketing mix for the first time:
One size doesn’t fit all
There are many choices for retargeting out there, each with their own specialty or value proposition. Do your homework before committing to one – below are some important questions to ask when evaluating platforms:
- Reputation: Does the company have a long-standing history of success? What types of companies does it usually work with? Is my business size/model well represented?
- Pricing Model: Does the pricing model match my business goals? Am I charged per click, impression or acquisition? Are these prices fixed? Are there minimum spend requirements?
- Transparency: What metrics/reporting do I have access to? Can I see which sites my ads are shown on and what my costs are per site?
- Flexibility: Are there contracts needed to set up my account/retargeting campaigns? Do I have the ability to start and stop campaigns at my discretion? Can I create short-lived campaigns for specific events, like holidays?
- Optimization: Is there a custom optimization strategy? With what levers can I optimize my account: lowest-priced clicks, incremental lift, new customers vs. old, etc.?
- Customer Service: Is the company’s platform self-service or is there an account management team to help? Is the latter tied to a specific level of spend?
Place a pixel as soon as possible
The days leading up to Christmas are all characterized by an increase in web traffic coming from consumers researching potential gift ideas and hunting for the best deals. Placing a pixel on your site, thus cookie-ing your site visitors when they browse your page, will provide you with a wealth of data that can later be used in smart advertising efforts.
For example: want to offer a special discount for a certain product? Having placed a pixel earlier, you’ll be able to re-engage potential customers who viewed that specific product on your site but didn’t buy, and present them directly with the discount. It doesn’t get any more precise than that!
Give it time
Just like homemade gingerbread cookies, retargeting campaigns need a little time to bake. After a couple of weeks or so, see which campaigns and ads are resonating with your customers and tweak those that aren’t!
Something as simple as changing the color of your call-to-action button can produce a dramatic uptick in clicks and conversions. One of AdRoll’s designers recently wrote a blog post on creative best practices – check it out for some more great suggestions.
Don’t worry – it’s not too late to start! There’s still time to set up your retargeting campaign this holiday season. You can get started here.