mod. has found great success making durable and stylish camera straps for photoenthusiasts and professional photographers alike . Learn how they’re using Volusion to go even further.
Women owned businesses are taking over the nation. According to the 2012 American Express OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses Report, there are more than 8.3 million women-owned businesses in the United States, generating nearly $1.3 trillion in revenue and employing nearly 7.7 million people. Volusion merchant, mod., is a great example of a mother and daughter-owned business that’s thriving and growing with the help of Volusion.
As a young mom, mod.’s creator, Amber Clay, wanted a designer strap to use with her new dSLR camera at her son’s birthday party. After searching and only finding plain black straps or poorly-made decorative ones that might not support her camera, Amber decided to make her own and asked her mom, Jeannie Cheatham, to help. The rest, as they say, is history.
Choosing the right solution
Prior to their Volusion site, mod. tried two different types of websites. The first was a simple template purchased online, which led to two major problems: 1) the site was Flash-based, making it inaccessible to mobile phones or tablets, and 2) instead of a “retail” site, it was designed to be a showcase for photographers, which led to many shopping cart issues.
The second website that mod. chose was a fully custom site. Although they liked the look and feel of the site, it wasn’t very successful from a functionality standpoint, and because it was custom built, making changes became very expensive.
Director of New Business, Susan Tierney, knew about Volusion from friends who used the platform and saw great success. When she reached out to her web designer, Volusion was highly recommended over other shopping cart options. In December 2011, mod. launched www.modstraps.com on the Volusion platform.
“With Volusion, mod. has largely expanded its platform, increased its traffic, and been able to rest assure that its online store is safe for our consumer and functional for our company,” said Natasha Daguio, Director of Sales and Marketing.
Seeing the business through the Volusion lens
Since launching their site with Volusion, mod. has seen tremendous success. The Volusion software provides useful tools to manage and grow mod.’s business. Some of the most useful tools to mod. include:
- Inventory control and top sellers – it’s easy to log into the back of the mod. store to see what items are being sold and find out which products are best sellers.
- Accurate reporting and sales figures – the advanced reporting features in the Volusion software make it easy for mod. to move their business in the right direction, thanks to real-time performance data and sales figures.
- Secure order processing – Thanks to Volusion’s PCI certification, mod. doesn’t have to worry about protecting customer data or the security of their own site. People who come to shop at mod. feel safe knowing they can check out safely.
- Managing contacts with a CRM – Volusion’s built-in CRM system helps mod. support their customers and gather valuable feedback. For them, the CRM helps to easily send out newsletters and other communications.
- Wholesale and vendor order management – a growing company like mod. needs the ability to sell its product wholesale to larger companies. While this is great for business, it can also come with the pain of accommodating both wholesale and retail customers. The good news is that Volusion allows them to cater to seamlessly cater to both buyer types.
- Coupons and discounts – having a reporting system allows mod. to create a business strategy around coupons and discounts. Volusion’s built-in tool for offering these has made a huge impact on the company.
- 24×7 support – every business needs a little help now and then. Volusion offers 24×7 phone, chat and e-mail support and mod. has found the support representatives to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
A portrait of success
Since www.modstraps.com started their store with Volusion, they’ve seen a huge amount of success both online and in larger retail stores. When they switched to Volusion, mod. instantly saw two times the traffic that they’d seen previously. Their sales quadrupled in the first year on the Volusion platform, and from 2011 to 2012, their overall sales increased by 30%. Furthermore, the online store brought in a huge amount of sales, with an increase of 52 %in the first year.
mod. has gone from a dream to a booming small business, and its products are now sold in over 500 camera stores throughout the US and internationally. They’ve also recently launched into the retail chain market, with accounts such as Aaron Brothers, BestBuy and Amazon, and look to continue that growth in 2013 with their Volusion store as a foundation of support.
“We’re thrilled we made the choice to use Volusion,” Daguio said. “They have the capability to handle our business growth, and that was of utmost importance to us. On top of this, Volusion also has incredible customer service. We know they will always be prompt to help fix any problem or answer any question in a kind and thorough manner. We’re very grateful for, and impressed by, Volusion and its services.”
mod. philosophy and advice
The team at mod. feels it’s important to maintain an unwavering commitment to excellence in design, quality and customer service, while exceeding their customers’ expectations. They approach every transaction and interaction with honesty and integrity, striving to make a positive difference in the lives they touch.
As a role model for other budding entrepreneurs, mod. team members gave this advice:
- You should be passionate about your business. If you aren’t, it’s time for a change.
- Know your limitations and be willing to seek other professional help in those areas which will allow you to build your business with stability.
- Stay true to the reason you created the business in the first place.
mod. movement of love
As a team of people who long to give back, mod. started a movement called the mod. Movement. Each quarter they’ll choose an organization to receive 10%of every sale made.
Thank you to the team at mod. for sharing their story of success, and good luck as you continue to grow! You can find mod. on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest or by visiting their website at www.modstraps.com.