Want to get on the right track with your holiday design preparations? Then get organized with this holiday design calendar.
Whether you’re a first time store owner or a seasoned pro, it’s never too early to start preparing for the holidays. But even with that in mind, it can be difficult knowing where or when to get started. In this post, we’ll cover what you’ll want to include in your store’s holiday makeover, as well as when you should get it all done. Let’s start with the “what” of this equation.
Here’s a comprehensive list of the design collateral you’ll want to get completed for the holidays:
- Holiday promotional banner/design
- Possibly update logo with red or green accents or a banner saying happy holidays
- One template geared toward the early birds – “Get ready, the holidays are on their way!”
- One template targeting last-minute shoppers – “Grab these holiday deals while they last!”
- Holiday-themed Flash ads promoting your best deals
Category page banners
- Graphics and banners to reflect your store’s promotions, especially any category-specific deals
Social media channel updates
- Twitter profile picture and background
- Facebook profile and cover photo
- Google+ cover photo
- Matching collateral for any other social media channels
Whew! As you can see, there’s quite a bit we have to do. And although it may seem overwhelming, we also have tons of time to get it all done. (Assuming we start now.)
Here are some milestones you’ll want to hit during the crucial months leading up to the holiday shopping season:
- Start creating and submitting print ads to various magazine and community papers. If you want get featured in time for the holiday rush, July is the month to strike.
- Be on the lookout for trends, do research on successful past holiday campaigns, and get inspiration for later. Keep your eyes peeled for ideas, especially looking at how other ecommerce sites are marketing their goods for Halloween and whether those same tactics (with some tweaking) would work for the later, less-frightening holidays.
- Start bringing those ideas to life. Get moving on redesigning your collateral, starting with online promo ads, then homepage updates and finally email templates. These are your three biggest priorities.
- After you’ve taken care of the big three, move onto the others (category pages and social media channels) as you see fit.
- Important: If you decide to opt for professional design services, you’ll want to get your orders in this month, if not before. Design orders typically take four to six weeks to complete, and there’s typically a big rush of orders come October. By timing your order in September, not only will you have plenty of time to implement your design, but you’ll beat the crowd as well.
- Continue creating your design collateral throughout early to mid-month
- By the end of October, you should be finalizing your design collateral. This includes all:
- Homepage updates
- Email templates
- Promotional ads
- Category page banners
- Social media updates
- Start rolling out the first design changes in the first week, starting with your promotional ads, then homepage changes.
- With your homepage changes, be sure to also display your best sellers on your homepage. In keeping with the holiday theme, consider renaming your featured products section something like “Seasonal Favorites” or “Holiday Must Haves”
- Send out your early bird holiday email in either the first or second week, complete with links to all of your deals
- By Cyber Monday (Dec 2), all design changes should have been implemented. If not, get those implemented as soon as possible!
- Send the second holiday email around the first or second week of this month to catch those last-minute shoppers.
- Sit back and relax! Everything’s in place. All you have to do is watch the orders roll in.
Now that you have an idea of what you’ll need and when you’ll need it to get design-ready for the holidays, grab a glass of iced tea and get to it! If you have other holiday readiness tips, feel free to leave a comment in the box below and help fellow store owners get their businesses ready today.