If you’re new to Volusion, you’ll probably want to get started by uploading a couple of your products. And thankfully, adding products has never been easier with your Volusion store! Check out this post to learn more about adding and managing products.
Without products, your ecommerce website has a lot in common with every other page on the web, in that it won’t be making you any money anytime soon. So when it comes to starting your online business, one of the first things you’ll want to do is get your products uploaded, with all the necessary information provided.
Your Volusion store knows how important products are, which is why it’s designed for easy product uploading and management. In this post, we’ll look at where to go to manage your products, how to add products and the different advanced fields you can fill in.
Let’s get started by looking at product management.
All Products page
When it comes to sorting, finding and managing your products, your All Products page is your go-to place. To get to your All Products page, head to your store admin and hover over Inventory, select Products from the drop down, and there it is. Here you’ll see all of your products listed in a grid format, organized by Product Code, along with the three buttons Search, Add and Settings.
Here’s what each one of those buttons do:
Search: This is where you can search through your products using any of the fields listed. Note that although Name, Code, Price and Weight are all marked with asterisks, you only need to fill in one field to be able to search through your products (and the field of your choice doesn’t have to be asterisked for your search to work).
Add: Very straightforward, this is what you’ll click on to add products to your store.
Settings: This is where you can change site-wide product settings, like enabling a Facebook Like button or enabling customer reviews. This is also where you can customize how your All Products page appears by going to Settings > Customize Columns, where you can change how many results appear, the size of font on the All Products page and which columns appear in your table.
The star of these three buttons, of course, is the Add button, since it’s what will help you add products to your store. To upload a product, you’ll first click on the Add button. Once at the Add New page, you’ll see that product creation has been broken up into three sections: Basic Info, Image Management and Advanced Info. Beside every field, you’ll see a circular, green question mark button, which you can consult if ever you have questions about what a specific field means.
Let’s walk through each section and see how it plays into adding a product:
The Basic Info section is where you fill out Name, Code, Price and Weight of your product. These are the only necessary fields when it comes to creating a product, and are marked with asterisks. You could technically create and sell a product with only this information, but it’s recommended that you fill in a bit more info and really give you customers a clear idea of what they’ll be getting. This section is also where you’ll fill out the product description, put the product in a category and add options, such as different colors or sizes.
Image Management is where you’ll upload your product photos. The first product photo will be your featured product photo, however, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to upload your photos in the right order the first time around. Once you’ve uploaded all your product photos, you’ll be able to drag and drop them to reorder them in the way you like best.
The Advanced Info section is exactly what it sounds like: Pretty advanced, and a lot of information that you have the option of filling in. This is where you’ll get into the nitty-gritty of your products, and fill in those extra details that’ll take your products over the top.
In the Advanced Info section, you’ll be able to edit the following:
- Search Engine Optimization: This is where you can edit a product’s meta tag title, meta description and meta keywords and other SEO-related information.
- Pricing: This is where you can specify sale price, setup cost (if there is one) and other price-related fields. Note: This field is not where you edit the price of your product. That is in the Basic Info section.
- Shipping: This is where you can enable free shipping, enter the estimated days it will take you to ship this product, and other shipping information.
- Product Descriptions: This is where you can fill in more specifics about your products, such as the Features, Technical Specs, Extended Information and more. This is also where you can write a caption for the main product photo.
- Product Display: This is where you would go if you wanted to set it up so a product only displayed for a limited time, or set it up hide when out of stock, or change the display names of different fields.
- Misc: This is where you can specify accessories, upload a manufacturer logo, specify the minimum needed to order the product (if there is one), set up how many reward points are given for this purchase and many more.
- 3rd Party Integrations: This is where you can manage your third party integrations, like Yahoo! Shopping options, Google Product options and QuickBooks information.
- Custom Fields: This is where you can create a custom field, like “Note to Our Customers:” and fill it in. You can create up to five custom fields.
- Recurring Pricing: This is where you’ll specify a product’s recurring price, like in the case of a monthly subscription. It’s also where you can set the frequency of the charges, how many months they’ll last (like a subscription for a product to be delivered once a month for three months) and more. Note: If you sell a product with a recurring price, treat the Product Price in the Basic Info section as a setup cost.
- Pricing Levels: This is where you can fill in special pricing levels, like Discounted Price Level 1 being 25% off, Discounted Price Level 2 being 50% off and so on. You can also set up different levels of pricing for set up costs and recurring price.
- Stock: This is where you can set up your stock status, specify when you should get a low quantity alarm and more.
- Vendors: This is where you can determine whether a product auto drop ships, or fill in a book ISBN, UPC code or others.
Once you’ve added a product, if ever you’d like to go back and edit something or fill in some of the advanced info, simply find the product, click on the Product Code to access its product page and make your changes.
When it comes to adding your products, you have a lot of flexibility. Your Volusion store only requires basic information to create products, but allows you the option of getting very detailed, with many fields and capabilities. And once you have your products, managing them is a snap with your All Products page. So go ahead and add products to your heart’s content! After all, they can’t start making you money otherwise.
-Gracelyn Tan, Volusion