Ecommerce Conversion Killers (And How to Stop Them)

Any adjustment you make to your ecommerce site, whether it’s writing product descriptions or picking a template, should be done with the idea of conversion in mind. In other words, how does the work you’re doing better convince someone to make a purchase? After all, we’re all in business to sell more to make more money.

Believe it or not, you may be killing your conversions without even knowing it. To help ensure you’ve got the best shot at making a sale, check out this video for my five biggest no-nos. Have any additional questions? Our team of experts is here to help you out!

About

Matt Winn is Volusion’s Senior Brand Manager, where he helps oversee the organization’s branding and communications efforts. Matt has created hundreds of articles, videos and seminars on all things ecommerce, ranging from online marketing to web design and customer experience. Beyond being a certified nerd, Matt is an avid college football fan, enthusiastic home cook and a self-admitted reality TV junkie.

14 Responses to “Ecommerce Conversion Killers (And How to Stop Them)”

1. Omar

im with wix.com and they don’t let me use SSL :((( so changing over to volusion.com :))

2. George

Matt, this is my 2nd post on the same subject. As you can see already all other posts but one have stipulated this very important issue with customers getting confused on checkout / not being able to login.

Santiago has basically repeated what I said in my previous post. So it goes to show it is a big problem Volusion customers like us face each day.

You are definately right in what you say in you video clip however the Volusion checkout procedure is not totally logical for store owners and our customers.

Again, I’m sure I speak on everyone to please help and look into this urgently.

George

• Matt Winn

Thanks, George. I’ve included your thoughts in my report to our Product team. You can also submit your request directly at ideas.volusion.com. Thanks!

3. Steve

Great video. My number one concern using a Volusion store is customers complain frequently about having difficulty signing in. Support has no clue why this happens, but it is unique to Volusion because we never get the same complaint from Yahoo stores and I prefer our Volusion store by far, but this is becoming an issue we may have to address with change if something doesn’t change soon.

• Matt Winn

Hi Steve, thanks for watching. Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing difficulties. I pulled up your account to see your correspondence with our Support team, and one requested more details on exactly what is happening. Would it be possible for you to contact our team again so they can try to gather more information and see what can be done to help you out? Thanks a ton!

4. Santiago

Hi Matt,
    Those are good tips, but Volusion is not helping with conversion in 2 ways. One, if a customer has an account but chooses not to log in, Volusion won’t let them checkout until they log in, and if they forgot the password, the process can take long and they abandon their cart. Customers should be able to checkout as a guest always, regardless of the fact they have or not an account.
    Also, by making all merchants to use Express Checkout with PayPal by the end of the year, conversions will drop, since it is very poorly integrated. Customers need to be able to reach a checkout page where then they can choose any payment method, including PayPal.
    I have experienced Express CHeckout with PayPal and I had to go back to normal because my customers were lost. Those who missed the “Checkout with PayPal” button, got to my Checkout Page and did not find PayPal as a payment option and left. Those who saw the “Chekout with PayPal” button thought I only accepted PayPal and left because they wanted to use credit cards. In the end, I lost 50% of my sales in 2 days.
    Those 2 things I mentioned before are my 2 words headaches with Volusion and are the reason why I am considering to switch to other shopping cart providers.

• Matt Winn

Hi Santiago, thanks for the feedback. I’ve forwarded this information over to our Product team for review and reference – will keep you posted on any updates. Thanks!

5. George

NonnieKelly made a great point. I have been using Volusion for over since 2008 and this still casuses us a problem. We used to allow for guest checkout without having to enter a password.

Returning customers would keep creating new account under the same email address. This is a problem for 2 reasons:
    1. If they have made 5 orders it shows up under 5 accounts witht he same email, meaning they cannot login to view, print orders etc…
    2. If they want to login to view order they cannot, they can’t build up their loyalty points etc… In addition if they do decide with register with a password then it causing more issues.

A year ago I decided to make password compulsary becasuse of the above issues. Its working much better however there are still issues:
    1. Customers that previously used the guest checkout using thier email but WITHOUT a password were unable to login. They had to contact us so we can resolve it. I lost many sales/customers becasuse of this.
    2. Customers still get confused by “Proceed to Checkout” and “Login and Checkout”, the result it they are unable to login to pay as their email address is already registered. Again lost sales becasuse of this.

So again NonnieKelly point and idea is so very important. If Volusion allowed for guest checkout or by using the “Proceed to Checkout” option even though they are already registered then all the above issues would NOT be an issue at all.

Matt, we would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks
    George

6. Eric Dodds

I second NonnieKelly’s comment. My return customers might not remember the password associated with their e-mail. Making them use an alternative e-mail or request a password reminder/reset is putting up a significant barrier. Volusion NEEDS to have a way to allow customers to just check out without a password and still allow them to use an e-mail that is associated with an existing account. Regarding number 5 you are right about shipping sticker shock but I don’t believe there is a way to show the shipping before final checkout in Volusion. The earlier customers can see shipping charges and taxes the better! Perhaps Volusion could create an “Enter ZIP Code” field that could calculate and display shipping and taxes at every stage during shopping and checkout.

7. Darren Lancaster

Totally agree with not requiring more information than is necessary. So imagine my surprise when the design services folks told me that my customers MUST enter a phone number at checkout. Total fail! It’s absolutely not mandatory and a big barrier. Please allow it to be configurable ASAP!

• Gracelyn Tan

Hi, Darren. Thanks for your input! I think your insight is spot-on, but I’m not 100% sure our software is capable of that just yet. I’ll pass your thoughts onto on product team though. Thanks for reading!

8. Steven Clarkson

Hi Matt

Thanks for the tips. In regards to number 5 you suggest having shipping and tax charges on the product page to prevent surprises at checkout. Can you advise how we do that with in the Volusion software as I was of the understanding this can only show in the shopping cart page.

Thanks
    Steven

• Matt Winn

Hey Steven, no problem at all! Unfortunately that was my goof up and I misspoke there – I meant to say to have the shipping charges able to calculate on the checkout page to prevent what I call “shipping sticker shock.” Sorry for any confusion, but I will let our Product team know that this is a feature that you and others might be interested in. Thanks! -Matt

9. NonnieKelly

Thanks, Matt…another good video.

In regards, to number 4…I’d like customers who have previously checked out with a password to have the ability to check out as a guest if they’d like to do so. Not everyone remembers a password and in my opinion, several more steps to conversion if they have to request a password.

What are your thoughts on this? Any chance of Volusion enabling this feature in the future?